Thursday, April 18, 2013

I think that the thing with Sourdough is that so many people have so many misconceptions about it.  It was a little scary for me to commit to wanting to do sourdough.  I thought what about the proofing, what about feeding it all the time, what if I mess up the culture, I was full of what ifs.  I have a feeling that if I am feeling this way so are others.  Well, I have great news for all of you!  It isn't hard, it isn't scary and it isn't babysitting a culture for the rest of your life.  The proofing box is very simple to make.  We have a blog about it, there are detailed instructions on our website and in a flier that we send with the culture.  If it does scary you too much....solution...there are proofing boxes for sale on the Internet.  Problem solved.  Feeding it...another, oh my gosh, I will never be able to leave the house to go on vacation moments.  Great news!  Did you know that you can put your cultures in the fridge and leave them for months?  You can!  Just every four months get them out, feed them so that they reactivate and you can store them again if you aren't going to use them for awhile again.  What a great tidbit of information that most people don't know!  As for messing up these cultures, let me just tell you that it is pretty hard to do.  The cultures seem to be extremely forgiving!!!  And if they do get contaminated...you wash them and they should be just fine.  If I can get a sourdough starter started and usable, anyone can.  Let me know your concerns or questions with the starters and we will see if we can get them cleared up for you.  Happy baking!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment